With bone-chilling winds blowing me homeward each dark evening, I’m seeking out hearty, filling dinners to warm up inside and out. Last year I shared my favorite recipe for Swiss Chard Soup, and this year I’ve got another veggie bowl for your winter table – a hearty winter Roasted Carrot + Pumpkin Soup, a new Mon Amye original recipe.
This is the soup I prepared as a starter course for the Winter Tea Party I hosted back in January, but it would also be delicious as a main dish with a side of apple chicken sausage + onions or a baked pork chop. Or, if you’re going all-vegetarian, serve simply with toasted pita triangles. It is truly a filling and flavorful addition to a winter meal!
1 lb carrots
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp grated ginger
1 cup canned pumpkin
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper
Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Peel and chop carrots into 3-inch pieces of approximately equal size. Toss with olive oil until coated, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer across a baking dish and roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion in 2 tsp olive oil until lightly browned. Stir in garlic for a brief minute, adding ginger as well if you’re using freshly grated.
- Then add the pumpkin, roasted carrots, and 3 cups of broth. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In small batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to soup pot and stir in remaining broth, adding slowly until you reach your preferred consistency.
- Season to taste with curry powder, salt and pepper. Serve warm, garnished with feta cheese.
Though many carrot soup recipes call for milk or cream, I find this version to be deliciously rich simply because of the addition of pumpkin (and be sure to get 100% pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling!) That, and the extra step of roasting the carrots, make this soup a true winter standout.